Whisky (hwis-kee) Noun: A liquor distilled from a fermented mash of grain (barley, rye, or corn) containing at least 40% ethyl alcohol. Also: Whiskey, Rye, Scotch, Bourbon. From: Uisge Beatha, Aqua Vitae, Eau de Vie.
Last May, it was Chardonnay! Wait... what?
Visit the Event Page to see all previous taste events.
→ You can click on a number of things to take you to detailed reviews. For example:
Balvenie 12yo Doublewood Single Malt Scotch
Each of the above colors will take you to a different set of reviews. One (Balvenie) takes you to all the Balvenies (including the 12yo) The second second link takes you directly to the 12yo review. The type of whisky, Single Malt, will take you to a list of Single's and Scotland will take you to every whisky from that country.
There are dozens of excellent web sites out there that extol the virtues of fantastic whisky. Fantastic in taste, fantastic in character and sadly, often fantastic in price. I have no lack of respect for the whisky aficionados who can dedicate the time, energy and money to tasting all the whiskies that I can't afford, and I salute them with glass held high. That salute will just have to employ a dram of practical whisky.
Practical Whisky, this site, contains my reviews of whiskies that I've sampled, from Scotches , Irishes and Canadians to Single Malts, Bourbons and Blends and how “practical” I think they are. I make recommendations like those found in the Random Dram widget to the left, check the lower review for whiskies that score well in both the taste and cost departments. There will also be news and updates on the goings on in the practical whisky market as I become aware of them. Look for new whiskies every Monday plus whatever else I can squeeze in on Fridays. Be sure and come back and see what's new.
I hope the site is entertaining and useful, or at least one of the two.
-- Brian --
|» The pinnacle of the peat pyramid?||13-OCT-2014|
|The bog of Ard. I have little else to add other than I hope this lives up to my impossibly high expectations of Ardbeg.|
|» Buffalo Bill and his road to bourbon.||06-OCT-2014|
|Missippi river distillery named this for Mr. Buffalo, which really means little to me. Not really a period of history I know much about. I hope somebody cared about Mr Cody's good name.|
|» Bar Finds! Jameson Black Barrel||29-SEP-2014|
|The bottom of the Jameson line is one of my go-to drinks at a bar if there's nothing else but as I move up the Irish line, I quickly shift to Bushmills. Further, Black Bush is somewhere in the top 25 all time economical list, so does Jameson's noir match up?|
- Index: The page you are on. Right now. Presently even.
- Reviews: The raison d'etre of the site where the reviews go to congregate and establish pecking orders. This is important, get moving
- » Brand Listing: A breakdown of brands for ease of location or general interest
- » Events: A subsection of reviews, with a ranked list of whiskies for each taste event.
- » About Whisky: Start your education here.
- » About PW: Info about how this site works and what some things mean.
- » Stats: Lies, damn lies and statistics.
- Tops: The top (and bottom) 5% of the list and the tops of each style. If you want to know the best of the best, go here.
- History: Will eventually contain everything I've ever done. Ever. For now it's just the history of this site. Sanitized for your protection.
- My 2¢: Rants and raves about ... well, whisky related topics mostly. Gripping stuff.
- Links: Places to go when you're tired of being here. I refuse to make this one a link because I don't want you to leave. See how much I care?
Member of the Ardbeg Committee
One of the finest Islays, and the 10YO is legendary.
Ambassador of Maker's Mark
Don't be put off by the hype as I was. MM is a fine bourbon and a perfectly Practical Whisky.
Companion of Aberlour
Speysiders that will warm your heart without draining your wallet.
Balvenie Club Member
One of my first, and I've yet to find a Balvenie I haven't liked.
Compass Box Hedonists Society
Master mixers and Lords of variety. Expand your horizons here.
Striding Man Society
If all you know is the Red Label, you don't know Johnnie.
Glenmorangie Kindred Spirits
They once made the perfect 10YO, I still love them despite changing her.
Member of the Springbank Society
My first true Scotch and the bar by which all others have been measured.
Jim Beam Brotherhood of Bourbon
Beam Black is nearly the definition of Practical Whisky in Bourbon.
Glenfarclas Friend of the Family
Glenfarclas is a wonder and impossible to find locally outside the 10 and 12. Luckily a buddy loves the 21 and so I get a taste reminder once in a while.
- This site is not offering anything for sale. Should I ever decide to offer anything for sale it will not include anything produced or trademarked by a whisky company.
- I receive no compensation for doing reviews, linking to manufacturers web sites or for doing anything else in relation to this page.
The images on this site are eiter:
- Original works created by me
- Photographs of bottles taken by me for purposes of review
- Images taken from official sources for identification under Fair Use provision of the Copyright Act for purposes of Review and Criticism.
- The links on the links page and distillery data pages lead to the companies that produce the whiskies and are provided explicitly without agreeing to any "Linking Policy" presented by the company in question. The proliferation of these unenforceable policies is ridiculous and I refuse to be a party to it. The company web pages are public information, I am presenting them clearly as addresses to be visited for further information, I am linking only to the top level entry page of the site with no framing and I offer no option to deep link. Should the company in question complain, I'll just add a link to a Google search for their name and let Google's lawyers fight it out. The content of those pages is outside of my control, such links do not represent any endorsement by myself or the linked company and should you choose to follow those links, I am no longer in control of your internet destiny.
- The images of bottles clearly include copyrighted works, and are presented under the Fair Use Statute of the Copyright Act for purposes of review and criticism. All trademarks and copyrights are held by the companies represented.
- It sucks that I should have to even consider posting this legaleese here, but that's the world we live in.
- Isn't this text TINY! Man, you could get a migrane reading this.